|Hot from the oven|
Today for lunch I needed something quick and easy. My own children love this recipe and so do most of the daycare children. Perhaps you can try this on your brood when you're in a hurry. It also makes a fast hot dinner or nice weekend brunch casserole.
To make this tasty main dish, you'll only need bread (any type, even croutons would work), eggs (about a dozen), meat of some sort (we love sausage or ham, but bacon would be great too!), and cheese if you have it.
Easy - Fancy Brunch Casserole
- Tear up enough bread (I used a mixture of homemade croutons and sandwich bread today - but any bread will do) to make an even layer in a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan. It doesn't have to be perfect, in fact the more uneven the pieces are, the more rustic I think the dish looks.
- Layer 1/2 to 1 lb of cooked ham, bacon or sausage. Today I used sage breakfast sausage patties and just broke them into pieces.
- Layer shredded cheese if you have it. I didn't have any cheese today.
- Scramble a dozen eggs and season to your liking.
- Pour eggs over bread, meat and cheese.
- Let the bread absorb the egg mixture for a few moments prior to baking.
- Bake covered in a 350 degree F. oven for approximately 30 mins.
- Remove cover and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes or until eggs are set. If the mixture appears liquidy when you jiggle the pan, it needs to cook longer.
- Serve with sliced tomatoes and condiments of your liking. I really love salsa or tabasco sauce. Enjoy!